interesting reading and course.

It took me two days to finish reading the two chapters of Everybody Lies,not only because of my poor reading of English,but also becasue of much of my consideration on the interesting idea expressed in the book.
It attracts me much by its copious samples of Google search, ranging from politics of presidential voting and viewpoint of right\left wing to invidual curiosity in terms of sex. I can’t image what might happen in China if these samples of talking about sensitive topics be used in the college courses. From the interesing reading materials, I experienced much difference between America and China in terms of environment of culture,politics,economics, as well as technology.
I don’t want to talk much about politics and economic. But I am interested in the technology. I’d like to express my thought on the data technology by discussing a deadly accident which happened in the past week in China. A young lady who called car-pooling service of DiDi was raped and killed by the car driver. This accident rouse explosive outrages of all the Chinese people, including me. The outrage was not only on the criminal driver, but major the company,DiDi, of providing platform of car-pooling service because it didn’t timely and correctly responded to the help seeking  from the victim before she was done by the driver. From my viewpoint of technology, DiDi should use more technology of data analysis to enhance the security of its platform. DiDi,similary UBER,a China’s car hailing giant,provides transportation services for 550 million users across over 400 cities,including taxi hailing, priviate car hailing,and social ride-sharing. The accident happent to the ride-sharing service platform which is to make a match between car driver who is not dedicated to providing hailing service and the customer. If both the driver and the customer have the same tour direction,the platform will notice them to make the deal if both accept. Here is the issue potentially leading the accident. Based the running mechnisam of the car-pooling platform service, the driver and the customer don’t know each other at all. The customer has no way to evaluate the driver and totally rely on the platform before he/she accept the deal.So did the platform provider do the basic due dilligence on the verification of the driver? How is it implemented and is it enough just by checking the identification and criminal history ? Now It is an era of big data and artifical intelligence. All kind of invidual’s data of social network, financial condition report might be used to anylize each invidual driver. For example, could the platform use the feedback and comments from the passagers,joint with the driver’s previous and current financial conditions, to make the sentiment analysis on the driver and judge if the driver lies or behaves always abnormally ,then judge if he/she is qualified for acting as car-pooling driver?

This is my thought during my reading Everybody Lies. Looking forward to communicating and deeping into the Data,Place,and Society with all of you.